Saturday, April 4, 2015

Another pre-walk walk

I woke up about 3:30 this morning and looked outside. The moon was visible with a piece missing. It was clear enough to see the lunar eclipse.


For various reasons, including trees that can get in the way closer to home, I headed to Chambers Creek Properties. All the way down, I could see the moon. When I reached the park, the entire moon vanished. This was thanks to some clouds.

Since I was also going to do my normal walk, I kept moving whenever I couldn't see the eclipse. Eventually, the moon found a gap in the clouds. I set up and took several pictures.

I still haven't perfected lunar eclipse photography. It didn't help that the cloud gave me such a short time frame to experiment. The clouds once again moved in and blocked the moon. I glanced down at my watch and saw that it was one minute before the total eclipse was supposed to start.

I walked some more. Eventually, the moon came out again. That's when I took this post-totality shot.
Lunar Eclipse
The moon was disappearing again. This time, it was thanks to a hill. I put away my tripod and went into owl territory. I was already out early, I figured that I might as well try to take advantage of the darkness.

I heard one of our Great Horned Owls hooting, but it quieted when I got close. I decided it would be better to check for any signs of Barred Owls rather than stick around. I heard one of them hooting in the distance. There is no way I could have seen any from the main trail. I headed back to the Great Horned Owls. One of the parents flew to the top of a tree. I believe I also heard both of the kids. It was dark, so the parent was the only owl I saw.

Although I had given up on the eclipse, there was still a piece missing during my return trip. The picture was lower in quality, but I couldn't resist the follow-up. Again, the moon vanished behind some clouds.
Lunar Eclipse

No comments:

Post a Comment