Thursday, July 3, 2014

2014 Road Trip - Silver Falls and Ridgefield

If you paid attention to the last entry in my vacation log, you can probably guess how we started the day. We saw ten waterfalls within Silver Falls State Park.


I believe the walk took us past noon. It was also on foot. That eliminated any big hikes for the rest of the day. Since we didn’t have a whole lot of important destinations for the rest of the trip, we went to one of the three wildlife refuges that we have made several trips to enjoy over the years. That stop would be Ridgefield NWR.

We didn’t hit the refuge at an optimal time. We still had a reasonable list of sightings. Let me go back to day one for a moment. We visited the Julia Butler Hansen Refuge for the Columbian White-Tailed Deer and I mentioned that we didn’t see any white-tailed deer. I also mentioned that they were being relocated. Today, we saw a deer with tags and a possible transmitter. One side of the tags had “Julia Butler Hansen” on it. Call it a hunch, but I think I saw one of the deer from the other refuge.

We weren’t really planning on doing anything for July 4. It was set aside as the day we returned home. Since it takes time to set up camp, we figured we might as well finish up today. On the road from Ridgefield to I-5, we could easily make out Mt. St. Helens and Mt. Hood. Those can be added to our list of volcanic peaks seen (though no pictures had been taken) during this trip. I’m pretty sure we saw Tahoma on the way out.

UPDATE 1: I have added pictures from Silver Falls State Park and an eBird checklist.

UPDATE 2: I have added pictures from Ridgefield National Wildlife Refuge and an eBird checklist. A Black Tern was considered rare for the refuge.

No comments:

Post a Comment