Saturday, March 29, 2014

The Golden Rule

I have heard it my whole life. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. This is one of many examples of how we seem to ignore individuality in the modern world.


I'm a non-conformist. My thoughts, beliefs, and opinions are my own. What I want, what I like, and how I prefer others to treat me do not fit a mold.

If you are doing what everyone should, you have your own thoughts, beliefs, and opinions. Similarly, what you want, what you like, and how you prefer others to treat you will not fit a mold.

The golden rule relies on the idea that everybody wants to be treated the same. This is flawed. Treat people well. Try to help them when your help would be beneficial. Help them feel good about themselves. Just don't assume. Over time, you should try to develop a deeper understanding of the people you deal with. This will give you a better sense of what is best for them rather than what would be good for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment