Thursday, October 24, 2013

I used to like basketball

When I was younger, I enjoyed basketball. I collected cards. I had my favorite players and teams. I even played a little.

Okay, so I didn’t really enjoy playing. I was playing with people who were a little cocky and didn’t involve me. When I was on the court, I felt like a spectator. It got so bad that I actually started asking not to be put in the game.

That still leaves watching. I frequently had games on the TV to watch. Well, maybe it was more of a background noise. I really didn’t pay that much attention. But I still liked it.

Now I’m throwing myself off. I f I wasn’t paying attention, how did I know I liked it? I decided to put a game on TV and actually watch. I was bored.

Let me look back at when I played. I never actually enjoyed playing games. I came up with quick excuses as to why, but they were nothing more than excuses. Even shooting hoops in our driveway, I didn’t last due to boredom.

I remember once when a teammate turned the ball over. Nobody was back. I rushed and beat the opponent. Then what? I’m sure that there are things that I could have done better, but it’s remarkable just how little there is when you don’t have the ball in basketball.

Let’s expand on my disappointment in actually watching a game. Why did I struggle to focus on games when they were on. Why could I never enjoy watching games played at my local school? The reality is that the games never drew me in.

My love of basketball came during the years in which I did well in school. My stupid years. I was being influenced by others instead of thinking for myself. I became convinced that I was supposed to be a basketball fan and insisted that I loved a sport that I never actually enjoyed.

It’s definitely possible to not know what your opinions are. You can think that you like something you hate. I have lived that life. I loved basketball until I actually watched a game.

No comments:

Post a Comment