Saturday, January 19, 2013

Snowy Owls

A couple days ago, my sister and I made it to Damon Point to see the Snowy Owls, and it started with a flimsy excuse.

I have been participating in a weekly challenge set up by another sister. I am looking for certain words to photograph. Among this week’s were renew strength. We renewed our strength to pursue the owls.

We headed up from the beach when I thought that I saw a Harrier (sorry about the lack of picture, but the bird wouldn’t cooperate).

Looking around, I noticed a bump on a log. At closer inspection, it was our first Snowy Owl. It was better than what I saw November 15 at Nisqually, but it wasn’t enough. Fortunately, it was just the beginning. Fighting the wind, we worked our way over to another owl to get our first good look at one of them.

Snowy Owl

Fortunately, we had a gap between wind gusts so we could get hold cameras steady enough to get some more shots.

Snowy Owl

It wasn’t just the first two. We had another one a little further over that was a little whiter.

Snowy Owl

I also thought that he looked a little fluffier. What do you think?

Snowy Owl

These two photogenic birds drew attention to other photographers. We left and found one of our own.

Challenge 3 - Renew Strength

We continued our trip and bumped into another owl. This one was actually up in a small tree. It also appeared to be a sloppy eater.

Snowy Owl

We couldn’t spend all day at Damon Point. We eventually turned around. This doesn’t mean that we were through with the owls. As it got a little lighter, they appeared to become a little more active.

Snowy Owl

And let me throw in a different owl just because I like trying for birds in flight.

Snowy Owl

No comments:

Post a Comment