Sunday, July 22, 2012

How I got into photography

Growing up, I didn’t care about cameras. My family took pictures from time to time, but their pictures featured subjects that simply didn’t interest me. For example, there are pictures that family members have taken of other family members. On top of all of this, I couldn’t comprehend the idea that some people would actually spend hundreds of dollars on a camera. What a waste.

Then my family dragged me out of Washington. Before leaving, I knew that I had to find ways to remember my home state of Washington. I caved in and bought a camera. If I remember right, it was about $400 at the time, featured a 2 megapixel sensor, and no optical zoom. My sister and I went on a series of road trips to get as many roadside pictures as we could. A number of these pictures can be found in my photostream.

Then came a miserable year in hell itself, Utah. This was followed by several years stuck in a place that was about as bad, Ohio. I wasn’t about to spend my free time taking pictures of such hideous locales. With the exception of a quick trip home to see Edgar Martinez finish up his career for the Mariners (I didn’t take any pictures during the game), my camera gathered dust.

I can be selfish at times. I couldn’t stand Utah, and I couldn’t stand Ohio. I pressured my family to move back home. Eventually, I got my way.

The road trips that we had taken before moving were nice, but they weren’t enough. I hadn’t captured enough of my state with my camera. I decided that I was going to push myself a little further. I paid half for a newer camera with 5 megapixels and a 10x optical zoom. This would allow me more variety in what I can shoot, and possibly let me add some wildlife shots.

This further expanded. My sister, who is still the only person who likes going anywhere with me, bought her own camera with similar specs. After that, I started looking into the possibility of moving to a DSLR. When my sister’s camera got wet and she couldn’t get it working again, I decided to buy a DSLR and let her use the old camera. She felt like the old camera was too much of a downgrade and eventually bought a DSLR of her own. This allowed both of us to advance.

In more recent years, I have added a few accessories, lenses, and even a new camera body. After years of questioning why people would buy expensive cameras, I have probably spent more on photography than anyone I know (which I have to admit is a short list).

Who would have thought that being subjected to places that I consider to be hideous would push me into sub-amateur photography? I guess it makes sense. After seeing Utah and Ohio, Washington is more beautiful than ever before.

No comments:

Post a Comment