Sunday, May 13, 2012

Have We Exceeded a Natural Life?

With all the actions we have taken to improve life and all the technology that we have developed to make things easier for ourselves, has society actually improved? I say no. The sacrifices to rights, individuality, values, and human decency have far exceeded the benefits that we have received.

Don’t get me wrong. I love computers and the internet. Technology has its benefits. The problem is that we use technology more for control than freedom. For example, everyone is expected to have a cell phone these days. What do cell phones do for us? They tether us to others, taking away from our own lives. They are also obnoxious and sometimes hazardous.

How about advances in medicine? It’s nice to be able to live a longer life, but is it really worth it? We are now overmedicated, and we have gone beyond legitimate problems. The over-diagnosed Attention Deficit Disorder shows that we are now being medicated to correct our personalities.

How about our nightmare schooling system? We force everyone to conform to the lives of mindless drones and insist that their childhoods are dedicated to increasing the money that they are likely to make when they grow older. This promotes greed. Since we discriminate against those who do not conform, products of the schools have more potential for wealth. They view themselves as superior to individuals and develop a strong sense of arrogance. Meanwhile, those who struggle financially have to deal with those egomaniacs trying to make them feel even worse. If comments that I have read on the internet are correct, being poor is a personality flaw.

I hate my life. I feel that I have strengths and potential, but those around me have been pressuring me to be someone that I can’t stand. I know that it’s my fault that I have been too much of a coward to reveal myself, but why is it so difficult for me to be myself? The modern world revolves around money. To get money, you must be acceptable enough in the eyes of others including potential employers to be viewed as worthy of a career. Without living a life that I hate, I might not be able to survive.

That’s just the thing. My life is in the hands of others. I want control over my own life, and I want a say in my life. This is an oppressive era. What I want is nearly impossible.

Before mankind started doing unnatural things, I doubt that life was as restrictive. I’m sure that good people weren’t ridiculed by elitist attitudes. I’m sure that they weren’t as anti-thought as the modern world. The bottom line is that I wouldn’t hesitate to hand over the technology that I love in order to have actual rights. The idea of living in an individual-tolerant society intrigues me. I would also love to live in a time when I wouldn’t feel obligated to suppress my thought process. Perhaps life would be harder, but it would also be better.

I would also like to reiterate that we appear to be weaker mentally than we used to be. I may not be a Geico fan, but I remember the first time that I heard them say, “so easy a caveman can do it.” I immediately took offense. Cavemen couldn’t possible be as mindless as modern man.

No comments:

Post a Comment