Saturday, February 18, 2012

Great Backyard Bird Count–Day 2

Today wasn’t quite as good as yesterday for counting the birds. I couldn’t bring my big spotting scope… I mean my camera with a 500mm lens. I also didn’t have image stabilization on my binoculars, which made it really difficult to cope with the wind. Waves were choppy enough to hide some wildlife. The possibility of thunderstorms was in the forecast. I don’t mind a little rain, but I don’t feel that it’s best to be the tallest object when walking by the golf course. This forced me into a shorter and faster walk than usual. This means that I couldn’t really look for birds. Rain also made note taking difficult. Even so, I am going to post my sightings. Fortunately, I had my waterproof camera to help count crows and starlings.


Email: University Place, Pierce County, WA
Observation Date : FEB 18, 2012
Start Time: 9:15 AM
Total Birding Time: 1 hour 45 minutes
Party Size: 2
Skill: good
Weather: poor
Snow Depth: No snow was present
Habitat(s):
deciduous woods
scrub
grassland
freshwater
salt water
Number of Species: 16
All Reported: no
Checklist:
Canada Goose - 28
American Wigeon - 26
Mallard - 8
Surf Scoter - 2
Common Goldeneye - 1
Brandt's Cormorant - 26
Double-crested Cormorant - 1
Bald Eagle - 1
American Coot - 1
gull sp. - 4
Rock Pigeon - 3
Anna's Hummingbird - 1
American/Northwestern Crow - 122
American Robin - 1
European Starling - 146
Dark-eyed Junco – 18


All pictures taken were for counting purposes, so I’m not posting any today.

No comments:

Post a Comment