Monday, December 26, 2011

It looks like I will be able to keep up… eventually

At the start of 2011, I made significant changes to my online presence. My primary change was converting to a blog to throw my thoughts out there. Another idea was to change from SkyDrive to a better picture service. After doing a little research, I figured that Flickr would work well for someone like me.

I didn’t start working on my Flickr account at all until the Ospreys showed up. Even then, I still held back on my transition. The real work started towards the middle of the year.

Among changes that I was making is that I would add tags and actually do some basic editing. In the past, I created HTML and XML code myself. The idea is that I wanted people to be able to look at my pictures by subjects. Tagging allowed Flickr to take care of sorting subjects, so I could abandon all the work that coding demanded. Demands for editing offset the advantages of tagging, so I was still spending a lot of time on my pictures.

I decided to view July 1st (middle of the year) as the start of my push to get my Flickr account going. I created a goal to have the second half of the year completed by the end of the year. The hope was that I could establish that it is possible for me to keep up with the pictures that I have been taking.

After starting my Flickr account, I realized that my goal wasn’t a 100% perfect reflection of whether or not I could keep up. I don’t want to repeat pictures over and over again. For each picture I added, I had to look through all my pictures of a subject and decide which ones to use. I have been using a spreadsheet and Word document to help me with this task. This ultimately increased time for my earlier batches compared to later batches, so I created a secondary goal. I had to at least keep up with pictures once I finished going through vacation pictures. Vacation pictures took until October, but I eventually finished October through December so that I could return to July pictures.

I did not abandon my original goal. More importantly, I have finally finished July through December. While it is possible that I could still get some more pictures (unlikely due to nice walking weather ahead), it looks like I succeeded. If anyone visits my Flickr account in the near future, expect to see some of my older pictures in the not too distant future (I think I deserve a break for the rest of the day). After all, I still have a huge backlog to catch up on.

In case you didn’t already know, my Flickr photostream can be found at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/maritimeorca/

No comments:

Post a Comment