Saturday, July 23, 2011

My first movie attempt

I just posted my first movie on Flickr. Unfortunately, I had to cut a little more than I wanted. I like the idea of “long pictures,” but I would rather have to stick to 2 or 3 minutes rather than 90 seconds.

Now let me explain the movie in more detail than I have provided at Flickr. I was testing out my ability to record video at my favorite Osprey nest. My primary interest was in the young ospreys. I managed to get them with both of their heads up, but then the adult started talking. This talk turned into a shout. At one point, I could clearly see one of the young adding to the vocals. Another osprey flew through the frame (but refused to unblur his face). The adult on the nest left to chase it. This was followed by a return to the nest by itself. Since the young were left on the nest alone and it appeared to be more of a chase than a reunion, I’m guessing that the osprey that flew by was not the second parent. I’m guessing that it was a visitor from one of the other nests on the property.

I did figure out a few things from this first attempt. First, even tripods aren’t perfectly stable. Second, I sure could use a better microphone. Third, always try to be as quiet as possible when recording. Fourth, record in 720p60 (better utilizes Flickr’s service) instead of 1080p30.

No comments:

Post a Comment