Friday, March 25, 2011

River Otters… It’s about time

Sometimes, animals manage to elude me during my walks. I have suspected river otters in the area in the past (there have been tracks on the beach that likely belonged to river otters), but I haven’t been able to spot any. That all changed today. I finally saw a couple river otters. They ran along the railroad tracks then down the rocks. I didn’t see much of them at first. It was just a couple of critters with long tails. They eventually poked their heads up out of the water, and I decided to identify them as otters. (I’m not 100%, but they were definitely mustelids)

While I’m writing about Chambers Creek Properties, I should point out a discovery. There is an update for the property that I hadn’t seen yet. They are working on a new trail that will head southwest from the top of the hill near the Environmental Services Building. If I’m reading everything correctly, this will approach the canyon area of the park. I have not yet visited the canyon. Why have I avoided it? I was waiting for a trail that connects with the existing trails. My walking patterns could very well change this fall when the new trail opens.

Project Update:
http://www.co.pierce.wa.us/xml/abtus/ourorg/ccp/Project_Updates/UPDATE_2011-03.pdf

No comments:

Post a Comment