Saturday, July 6, 2024

Tradition

What is tradition? In short, it's the idea that we should do something because others used to do it. I know that this is a bit of an oversimplification, but perhaps it will help you understand why I'm not the biggest fan.

Tradition can have value. If someone has a good idea, we can keep that good idea going. We can maintain certain activities that create a common bond between generations.

In most cases, tradition makes me feel more like previous generations have too much control over my personal life. If I want to embrace a tradition, it should be because I like the idea. It shouldn't be because people in the past wanted to dictate how I live.

Personally, I'm the kind of person who would rather create new traditions than embrace existing traditions. Most traditions that I currently support are actually in support of others who embrace those traditions.

One tradition that I have started is to provide my family with a photo book each year for Xmas to share my vacation (if I take one). Actually, this is a combination of traditions. Sharing my trip with a book is definitely my idea. Connecting it to Xmas is because of their traditions. Xmas doesn't have a lot of meaning to me, so I might disconnect from the holiday at some point.

I have other ideas for traditions that I would like to start, but my life is simply not in a good enough place to follow through. I am also not pouncing on other people's traditions right now. I already struggle with my lack of a say in my own life. Why would I want to embrace what other people are doing?

No comments:

Post a Comment