Sunday, May 24, 2020

Short Stories - Dystopia II

Sometimes, it's best to leave your comfort zone. I have decided to push myself for some creativity. I'm not a writer (as if you couldn't tell), but I have decided to push that aside to write some corny stories. The text below is from one of these stories.


Prota's new life had begun. She was now entrenched in the life of a servant of the state. For the next seventeen years, she would be expected to pursue a mental designation , which would establish her standing in society.

The process of obtaining a designation was divided into phases. Each phase occurred in a separate facility . Her first year would occur at a play center . Play centers were designed for the purpose of gradually diminishing play and preparing children for their lives at fundamental centers.

Prota was herded off into a room . Once inside, her state-appointed guardian locked the door. As Prota stared vacantly through the bars of the windows, the guardian barked at her.

"Eyes at me. We need to get to work. First, we need to vow to show our obedience to our government . This will take some time to learn, so I will speak at this time each day with the expectations that you will join once you memorize it."

"I vow to do whatever and be whatever I'm told. I will show my obedience to our Totalitarians or their Traditionalists whenever they acquire authority. They know best, and I will not question their ways."

The guardian turned to Prota and started talking. "I will be responsible for your life during your time at the play center. To get the most out of your time, it would help me to know who you are. Prota, tell me your favorite color and one other thing about yourself."

Prota responded. "My favorite color is cyan . I have to admit that I'm a little nervous right now. This environment doesn't quite feel how I expected."

The guardian decided to prove a little background of who she was. "I also need to tell you a little bit about myself. My title is Guardian . That is how you are expected to refer to me instead of using my real name. My favorite color is red , and I have spent the last twenty years of my life perfecting my life as a mental guardian."

The day followed with various activities including open play and controlled play sessions. Open play provided Prota an opportunity to leave the room and join other children in playing games of their choosing. Controlled play involved activities that exposed Prota to concepts promoted by the government.

The following day would be similar. The guardian started with the vow. Prota tried to join in, but failed to make it past, "I vow to." This was followed again by open play and controlled play . It became clear that the guardian was establishing a routine.

No comments:

Post a Comment