Tuesday, May 21, 2019

Fun with Excel - Equality I

I could be viewed as an Excel junkie. I have even been known to refer to Excel as Microsoft's greatest piece of entertainment software. Sometimes, I just want to play with spreadsheets.


There have been times when I think that a spreadsheet could be used to help me make a point. If I used spreadsheets in such a situation, I don't think that I would go too complex. If I want to make a point, I would like people to understand that point. I have no desire to perfect complicated statistical formulas.

One area in which I think spreadsheets can help me make a point relates to my views on equality. I am open that I believe in the core concepts of equality, although with some limitations (Ghandi was not equal to Hitler). I also believe in individualism. I was hoping that Excel could help me explain how people can be different but on the same level.

I am not yet ready to go into details. I have created a preliminary spreadsheet. This spreadsheet displays a list of 100 records with three randomly generated values. You can think of this as ratings for three different skills or traits. It should be clear that if you only look in three areas, some records will look definitively greater than others. As time progresses, I intend to show what happens as you pay more and more attention to what makes each person unique.

https://1drv.ms/x/s!Ar3VXpGA-24u_XPViO-WbkatPoLy

No comments:

Post a Comment